Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The end of libraries?

Provocative piece by someone who (in my opinion!) is blinkered and out of touch with the reality of the needs of real people - particularly those who do not have the gadgets (money?) available to the 'so-called'' privileged of society.
 
Excerpt:  "...It’s almost like some people want to interpret anyone talking about the end of libraries as talking about the end of learning — and, by extension, the end of civilization. The reality is that learning has evolved. It’s now easier than ever to look something up. And the connected world has far better access to basically infinitely more information than can be found in even the largest library — or all of them combined. This is all a good thing. A very good thing. Maybe the best thing in the history of our civilization. Yet we retain this romantic notion of libraries as cultural touchstones. Without them, we’re worried we’ll be lost and everything will fall apart...."
_______________________________________________________________________________

 
 


My real education, the superstructure, the details, the true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that door and make the most of it. Now, when I read constantly about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that the door is closing and that American society has found one more way to destroy itself.”
― Isaac Asimov,
I. Asimov: A Memoir
When I read about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that American society has found one more way to destroy itself.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/i/isaacasimo400908.html#q64oP5OvrJAy566k.99
When I read about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that American society has found one more way to destroy itself.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/i/isaacasimo400908.html#q64oP5OvrJAy566k.99

No comments: